The Campaigner will be working for CEE Bankwatch Network; the position will be full-time, based in Bucharest.
CEE Bankwatch Network is an international NGO with member organisations currently from 13 countries across the CEE and CIS region. Our mission is to prevent the environmentally and socially harmful impacts of international development finance, but also of EU funding, and to promote alternative solutions and public participation. Please see www.bankwatch.org; www.bankwatch.org/campaign/coal and www.faracarbune.ro for more information.
Job profile/ main responsibilities:
- campaigning against new coal-fired power plants projects in Romania
- campaigning against expansion of lignite open cast mines, expropriation and deforestation it entangles
- building links with NGOs, mobilizing and support for local communities affected by those projects
- in collaboration with national level players building links with other European NGOs campaigning on coal
- monitoring international financial institutions’ investments in the Romanian energy sector
Profile of the ideal candidate:
- campaigning or community mobilising experience
- experience in advocacy and media work, ability to formulate clear messages
- research and analytical skills, experience in preparing reports
- ability to work independently and learn quickly
- background in energy is an advantage
- experience in an environmental NGO is an advantage
- understanding of Romanian investment process including administrative permissions and economic aspects of projects is an advantage
- knowledge of EU policies, EU funds, IFIs is an advantage
- able to travel frequently in Romania and abroad
- assertive, positive attitude, tolerant to cultural and opinion differences
- fluent spoken and written Romanian and English
How to apply:
To apply, please send your CV and motivation letter in English by e-mail to: ioana.ciuta(at)bankwatch.org.
Your motivation letter should answer these questions:
- What makes you a good candidate for this position?
- How do you perceive working for an environmental network and what do you feel is your added value to the current anti-coal work that Bankwatch is doing in Romania?
- What do you think is the biggest challenge of this type of job?
Deadline for application is September 11th 2015.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The candidate is expected to start as of October 1st 2015.